I just recently started reading Life of Pi by Yann Martel. I am only half way through so I can't give you the whole summary. All I know is that a child named Piscine Patel who is very passionate about all religions lives in India and under goes a major life change. When his family, who are zookeepers decide to move to Canada. They take the animals put them in cages and emigrate to Canada. Sadly the ship and Pi is left alone with a hyena, orangutan, a wounded zebra and a 450- pound Bengal tiger. Soon all that's left is him and the Bengal tiger alone on a lifeboat in the middle of the ocean. The only reason I read this book was because I wanted to see the movie too. I never thought it would have such a big affect of me and change my thoughts on things. This book has affected me more than any other book I have ever read. No lie.
One of the ways this book has effected me is my thoughts of zoo's have changed. In the beginning of the book Pi talks about animal in captivity. Saying that they like no change and that being in a safe stable environment makes them happy and they don't mind. I always thought animals were so sad in a zoo. For all the obvious reasons being away from family and there home. The book helped me realize that they adjust and sooner or later learn to love their new home. Pi used this example which I thought was really good. "If you take a human out of their home and say your free they will probably curse you out and go back inside". That is what really changed my mind. I am still not exactly sure if animals should be in zoo's but Pi helped me realize that they could actually be happy.
Another way this book has effected me is my thoughts on religion. I have not really decided what choice I want to make about religion I kinda have ignored the topic. Seeing how passionate Pi is about the topic makes me wanna join in, I guess at least think about it more. Pi joins three religions at the same time (Hindu, Christianity and he becomes a Muslim). I don't understand how someone can be so committed to all these religions, I already go to sleep in church I do not think I could handle three religions. In my opinion everybody has to have views at least. I believe that's what the book taught you do not have to be apart of a religion but at least have your own views.
Never did I ever think that this book would really make me think. My teacher (shout out to Ms.Robbins) told me I could write a good response about this book because it is very philosophical. I do not exactly know what that means but this book did make me think. It kinda makes you reflect on your life and what not. Very interesting and I recommend this book to others.
In conclusion, Pi Patel has effected my life a lot more than I supposed. I defiantly cannot wait to see this movie and then I will be cable to compare.
YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!! Comment seriously give me feedback.

Sacha I love how you said the book changed your thoughts and no book did this affect to you. And you elaborated on why it affected you! After reading your blog, I am planning on reading this book. Great Job!
ReplyDelete