I just read a book called Am I Blue? by Bruce Covillie. It is about a kid named Vincent who gets bullied for being gay, A book with such a controversial topic must have a strong internal and external conflict. I believe the internal conflict is that he was not excepting the fact he might be gay and the external conflict was him getting bullied.
I think that was the internal conflict because it was not until the end of the book Vincent excepted he might be gay. "No", I whispered, starring at my bluish face". That was when he realized in and he was in denial. I would be pretty shocked to if I found out I was a lesbian."When I meet the girl of my dreams or Prince Charming". That was when he excepts the fact he could be gay. It must be hard to except something as big as that. Especially since he gets bullied for it.
I thought the external conflict was him getting bullied. I had some trouble finding out the external conflict because it was surprisingly not that obvious in my opinion."It started the day Butch Carrigan decided I was interested in jumping his bones". See in my opinion it looks like this thing is gonna be about bullying but later you realize what it is really about.
I loved how Vincent handled the whole conflict. He did not get angry or lash out, he seems pretty calm. If I found out something as shocking as that I would go crazy and probably start crying. Not saying I am a homophobic. If your used to something all your life then a dramatic change happens and it is something you can't deny or ignore no matter how hard you tried, I would be a little upset. It is not easy to connect something like this to your life since I have never had such experience but, I'll try. It is like when I do dishes, I deny it and ignore it until it starts adding up and I can't ignore it anymore then I have to do the dishes. I know it is a weird comparison but it was the only way it could work with me.
In conclusion, Vincent handled both conflicts very well. Internal not excepting being gay and external being bullied for it. Now for the hard question are you blue?

No comments:
Post a Comment